Do we know and understand the PAN (Permanent Account Number) that most of us have now-a-days?
We attempt to provide some basic insights into the logic of PAN .
This is a 10 digit Alpha Numeric Number. The first 5 characters are letters and the next 4 numbers followed by last one letter. This makes it a 10 digit unique number and this can divided in five parts as explained:
The meaning of each number has been explained further.
- First three characters are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ as issued by IT Department.
- Fourth character of PAN represents the status of the PAN holder.
C — Company
P — Person
H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
F — Firm
A — Association of Persons (AOP)
T — Trust
B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
L — Local Authority
J — Artificial Juridical Person
G — Government
- Fifth character represents first character of the PAN holder’s last name/surname.
- Next four characters are sequential number running from 0001 to 9999.
- Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic check digit.
Date of Issue of PAN card is mentioned at the right side of the photo on the PAN card ( you will see it in vertical imprint).
Collated by CAMS Digital Media Team